Beaver County History

Beaver County was created on March 12, 1800, from the surrounding counties of Allegheny and Washington. The county was originally divided into six townships, which included Hanover Twp. and North Beaver Twp. On March 20, 1849, a section of Beaver County was used to help form present day Lawrence County. Rev. Joseph H. Bausman upon the occasion of the Beaver County’s Centennial Celebration in1900 wrote a history of Beaver County. His document reveals that the name “Beaver” was given to the county because of the stream and town, which were already named such. Historically, the stream’s name was a translation of the Native American word for beaver.

Beaver County is bordered by Lawrence County in the north, Allegheny County and Butler County, in the east, Washington County, in the south, and Columbiana County, Ohio and Hancock County, West Virginia in the west. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 444 sq. miles or 1,150 sq. km., of which 434 sq. miles is land and 10 sq. miles is water (2.18%).

As of 2014, there are 169,392 people residing in Beaver County.1

Read more Beaver County History here.

Beaver County Courthouse